Kia Sorento 2012: Regular V6 oil changes?
Asked by Kalli Blunt
We bought our first big family car about a year ago, a Kia Sorento V6 auto. It just had its first service and the service man told me a big service once a year is all fine, but if we don't do a oil and filter change every six months there would be serious problems with build-up of thick oil in the engine and it would probably need a new engine just after the 5-year warranty was up. He said it was a fault with the way the engine was designed. Is this a ploy for extra income, or are his facts incorrect? Could you please put my mind at rest?
Answered by CarsGuide22 Feb 2013
It would seem it is a ploy for more income, but regular oil changes are vital in ensuring your engine remains in good health. Kia spokesman Kevin Hepworth told us that the Sorento servicing is generally 12-months/15,000 km, but there is a provision for a supplementary service, every 6-monthly/7500 km, when the vehicle is used in severe conditions. Severe conditions are highlighted in the service manual and generally they include prolonged high speed driving, extended towing, dusty conditions etc. Talk to your dealer if you're concerned that you might be operating in severe conditions, but it would seem that you're probably not, so sticking to the yearly servicing would seem to be the best course of action.
Other Kia Sorento problems
- Why does my 2009 Kia Sorento Intermittently go into limp home mode?
- How do you remove a rear door panel on a 2016 Kia Sorento?
- What is the longevity of diesel-powered SUV and Passenger vehicles in Australia?
- Are caps to stop petrol being used in diesel vehicles reliable?
- Why does my 2017 Kia Sorento randomly lose power?
- Why is my 2013 Kia Sorento making a clunking noise?
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Cars that start with S
- Cars that start with D
- Cars that start with K
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Every electric car available in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Cars that start with S
Cars that start with D
Cars that start with K