Kia Sorento 2018: petrol or diesel long term?
Asked by David, NSW.
I have decided to buy a 2018 Kia Sorento. Is petrol or diesel the better option? I travel 20,000,km per year with a mix of shorter and longer trips. I will keep the car for at least 10 years so long term reliability is important. My concern with the petrol engine is the amount of fuel it uses and with the diesel engine my main concern is potential long-term problems with the DPF and the associated costs involved. Which way do you think I should go?
Answered by CarsGuide31 Aug 2018
There are a lot of factors that contribute to the decision, and many of them are variable. Things that can affect the outcome are the type of driving you do, and the price of diesel compared to petrol. Currently the price of diesel is comparable to the price of petrol, but sometimes diesel can be much more expensive than regular 91-octane petrol. On the basis of what you have told us about your driving I would estimate you would save $800-$900 per year on the cost of fuel if you drove a diesel, but the price of a diesel Sorento is around $2500 more than the price of a petrol engined model, remembering that the diesel is only available with all-wheel drive and the petrol only comes with front-wheel drive. With the fuel savings you would cover the different in purchase price in 2-3 years, leaving with an annual fuel cost saving thereafter. The DPF is really only a problem if you have to have it manually regenerate because your driving doesn't allow it to do it automatically. All things considered the diesel is probably the best way to go for you.
Other Kia Sorento problems
- Why does my 2009 Kia Sorento Intermittently go into limp home mode?
- How do you remove a rear door panel on a 2016 Kia Sorento?
- What is the longevity of diesel-powered SUV and Passenger vehicles in Australia?
- Are caps to stop petrol being used in diesel vehicles reliable?
- Why does my 2017 Kia Sorento randomly lose power?
- Why is my 2013 Kia Sorento making a clunking noise?
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch...
- Cars that start with D
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Kia
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Torque converter, CVT, dual or single clutch autos, what's the difference?
Cars that start with D