Hyundai Santa Fe 2019: Should I buy the diesel version?
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2019
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews
- Hyundai SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Christine
How much country driving per week do you need to do to warrant the diesel version of a 2019 Hyundai Santa Fe? We live in a provincial city and whilst there is some country driving, the vehicle will also run around town a bit too. I was concerned about the diesel particulate filter. We also want to tow a small van and think the diesel will be a better option?
Answered by CarsGuide11 Jan 2020
You can work this out mathematically if bald numbers don’t scare you. The petrol four-cylinder Santa Fe is $3000 cheaper than the diesel. In all-wheel-drive form, the diesel has an official combined fuel consumption figure of 7.5 litres per 100km, while the petrol scores 9.3 litres. That means, that for every 100km travelled (based on those official test figures, remember) the petrol will use 1.8 litres more fuel. Based on $1.50 per litre, that means the petrol will cost about $2.70 more to run for every 100km, and that means you’d need to cover roughly 111,000km before you broke even on the extra purchase-price of the diesel. Even then, it’s not that simple as the diesel might be more expensive to service and maintain. Either way, though, petrol starts to look good.
That said, you sound like you’re in the perfect situation to make the most of a diesel engine. Yes, the turbo-diesel will tow a small caravan better than the four-cylinder petrol Santa Fe and, provided you do at least some country driving every month or so, you shouldn’t need to worry about the diesel particulate filter filling up or failing. Country driving will also stretch the diesel’s fuel consumption advantage further.
My advice? Drive both and make a decision based on the smoothness of the petrol or the relaxed flexibility and towing smarts of the diesel.
Other Hyundai Santa Fe problems
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2009: Timing belt replacement
- What SUV should I buy?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2010: Does this model have a timing belt or chain?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2013: Warranty repair issues
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2012: Steering problems
Most viewed in Advice
- Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol...
- RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol...
- TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo...
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Nissan RB30 engine: Your guide to the petrol six-cylinder motor
RD28 engine: Your guide to the Nissan Patrol motor
TD42 engine: Your guide to the Nissan turbo diesel motor
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000