Renault Captur 2015: How much oil should my car be using?
- Renault Captur
- Renault Captur 2017
- Renault Captur 2015
- Renault Advice
- Renault Captur Reviews
- Renault SUV Range
- Car Servicing
Asked by Don
I brought a 2015 Renault Captur in 2017. I’ve only done 5000 km in it, but in that time the oil top-up light has come on twice.
The dealer told me that a software upgrade was available to fix this problem, and this was done in January, but the light has still been coming on. When I took it back the dealer told me this is an acceptable amount of oil for the car to use even though they told me that they could fix this problem with a software upgrade. Shouldn't they have told me before I brought the car? All the dealer would do was give me a litre of oil and told me to fill it up when the light comes on.
The dealer told me that it was acceptable to use half a litre of oil every 1000 km, but that would mean that I would have no oil in the car after travelling 8000 km. They did a test and after about 6500 kilometres my car used one and a half litres of oil and they are saying this is acceptable, even after they said a software upgrade would fix this.
Do you think this is an acceptable level? Renault will no longer do anything for me.
Answered by CarsGuide7 Sep 2018
A software upgrade will not affect the oil usage of the car. It was once considered abnormal for a car to use oil, but it’s not today, and many engines consume some oil. It’s important to check the oil level in the engine regularly and top it up when it’s needed. The rate of oil used on the dealer’s test would seem to be reasonable.
Other Renault Captur problems
- What small SUV do you recommend?
- Toyota Aurion: What car is more comfortable?
- Best mid-size car for city and camping?
- Renault Captur diesel in Australia
- Best small SUV?
- Subaru XV rivals?
- Good car for an older person?
- Holden Trax alternatives
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Renault
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
12 best EVs available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures