High oil consumption in Polo GTI
- Volkswagen Polo
- Volkswagen Polo 2011
- Volkswagen Advice
- Volkswagen Polo Reviews
- Volkswagen Hatchback Range
- Sports cars
Asked by Wayne Beale
Right from initial purchase, my daughter's 2011 VW Polo GTI had what I consider to be excessive oil use. The dealer maintained it was "normal", and common in new cars. It has now done 51,000 km, and is still covered by the 5-year extended warranty she purchased. The Darwin dealer has done three oil consumption tests so far, and it has been recalled and had two or three new parts, which they stated would "hopefully fix the oil consumption problem". When she has continued to complain VW has tried to pacify her with any number of excuses. They have told her that humidity could be a contributing factor, as could the mixing of oils, the latest comment is that "oil consumption of up to 750 mil/2000 km is acceptable!" That means that between each scheduled serviced the vehicle could use up to five litres of oil! I find this unacceptable in a new car, especially one that has been regularly and exclusively serviced by the dealership, has only been driven by my daughter and her fiancé. Some owners she has spoken to have similar complaints of excessive oil consumption, while others have had no problems. What can she do to resolve this problem?
Answered by CarsGuide19 Jun 2015
It's not uncommon to hear of excessive oil consumption on the Polo GTI. The first course of action is to take it to the dealer and have them do another oil consumption test on it. I agree with you, oil consumption of 750 ml per 2000 km is too much. If the dealer can't help go directly to VW and ask head office to intervene. In the meantime we will contact VW and ask for their response.
Other Volkswagen Polo problems
- What car should I buy to replace my 2006 Toyota Corolla?
- What can I do about the faulty AEB on my 2018 Volkswagen Polo?
- How is oil mixing with coolant in my 2015 Volkswagen Polo?
- My new used 2010 Volkswagen Polo already has problems, what should I do?
- Volkswagen Polo 2016: Why is my car reversing when in drive?
- What is the durability and re-sale value of a used car?
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Car won't reverse
- Volkswagen Polo 2012: Gearbox failed
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- When to use low range in your 4x4
- Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
- Fuel efficiency explained
- What's the difference between diesel and...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Volkswagen
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
When to use low range in your 4x4
Top 10 SUVs in Australia: The definitive list
Fuel efficiency explained
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?