Ford Transit Fuel Economy
Asked by Rick Owen
I am quite happy with the performance of my 2004 2.4-litre Duratorq Turbo Diesel Ford Transit I plan to drive around Australia, but I would like to improve the fuel economy. Can the engine be run on bio-diesel, or will it foul up the injectors and engine causing expensive repairs? Do you know if a "Diesel Power" chip actually improves fuel economy for this model? What is your opinion on fitting the Transit with a second reserve fuel tank to increase its range and reduce fuel costs by purchasing fuel only in major centres, instead of rural and remote places? Is there anything I get the dealer to check when I take it in for its next service?
Answered by CarsGuide6 Jan 2011
The engine would run on bio-diesel, but if you swap you should service it and replace filters etc. after running a tank of bio through it. The bio-diesel will remove all the varnish that's built up in the fuel system and that will accumulate in the filters. It should be fine after doing that service, but I wouldn't advise doing it unless you can get bio-diesel wherever you go. It's not a good idea to be switching back and forth. A "Power Chip" is claimed to improve the economy, but you need to drive accordingly to achieve the claimed improvement. Most people don't get the economy benefits because they make use of the increase in power it also delivers. Fitting a second reserve tank would be a good move, that way you can take advantage of price swings and buy when the fuel is cheapest; you can also buy in the major centres where the rice is usually lower than in remote areas and the quality more reliable. Transits are prone to turbo failure, so I would have the dealer check that before you go bush.
Other Ford Transit problems
- Why isn't the turbo in my 2018 Ford Transit working?
- Why will my 1999 Ford Transit only start when the accelerator is all the way down?
- Ford Transit Custom Sport: Is it available in Australia?
- Is the Ford Transit Connect front wheel drive?
- How long is a Ford Transit Connect?
- Where is the Ford Transit Connect made?
- Does a 2002 Ford Transit have a cam belt or chain?
- Potential problems with a 2008 Transit
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Cheapest electric car in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- V8 Supercars engine specifications
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Cheapest electric car in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Hybrid vs plug-in hybrid: What's the difference?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
V8 Supercars engine specifications
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing