Toyota Prado 2008: Cracked pistons
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2008
- Toyota Advice
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado Reviews
- Toyota SUV Range
- Family Cars
Asked by Dennis Leech
We bought our 2008 Toyota LandCruiser Prado new. It's now done 112,500km and has been serviced by Toyota its whole life. We noticed it was fluttering when we pulled up at lights or intersections, so we notified Toyota about it at the 100,000km service. They apparently checked the pressure of the injectors and did whatever else they had to do. At 112,500km it blew a big cloud of black smoke and was tilt-trayed back to Toyota where the injectors were sent away to a reputable fuel injector company where they were tested and found to be ok. Toyota went the dirty fuel excuse. Insurance company had the fuel tested and it came back as within Australian standards. The end result is that I'm stuck with a car with a cracked no.1 piston and a hole and cracked no.2 piston. Where should I go from here?
Answered by CarsGuide6 Nov 2015
It sounds as if it has been running lean for some reason, and the obvious place to start is with the injectors. You say the dealer checked them and they were found to be ok, so the next step should be to go through the fuel system, the pump and the filters looking for something that has affected the fuel flow. I doubt that it is caused by dirty fuel as you have been told. While you are checking inspect the oil pickup in the sump as there have been problems with fuel leaking into the oil past the injector seals causing deposits to build up in the oil and eventually blocking the oil pickup. It's a long shot because it usually happens at very high kilometres, not 100,000km like yours, but it's worth eliminating as a cause.
Other Toyota Land Cruiser Prado problems
- Why is my horn and reversing camera not working?
- The paint on my 2007 Toyota Prado is peeling off, what should I do?
- Can I replace the master cylinder on my 2000 Toyota Prado with a second-hand one?
- Why is the media screen on my 2015 Toyota LandCruiser Prado now in Japanese?
- How much is my 2011 Toyota Landcruiser Prado worth?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Toyota LandCruiser Prado: What's the difference between the 2018 and 2019 GXL models?
- Toyota Land Cruiser Prado 2013: Radio problems