Holden Colorado: Wrong sized wheel nut
- Holden Colorado
- Holden Colorado 2011
- Holden Advice
- Holden Colorado Reviews
- Holden Commercial Range
- Holden Ute Range
Asked by Bob Webb, Cobram, Vic.
I purchased a new RC model Holden Colorado LXR last October. About two weeks ago the police put a Defective Vehicle Notice on the car, giving me just 24 hours to rectify the problem or the rego will be suspended. The Police stated that the vehicle was unroadworthy because the wheel nuts did not fully engage on the wheel studs. The wheel studs are too short for the wheel nut to screw on more than 2/3 of the length of the wheel nut. My Colorado is standard as supplied by Holden, except it came off the production line in Thailand with steel wheels and domed wheel nuts. When this model Colorado arrives in Australia, Holden removes the steel wheels and replaces them with an alloy wheel and open wheel nuts. Holden do not replace the wheel stud with a longer one to suit the much thicker alloy wheel center which then makes it unsuitable for use with the alloy wheel. The stud appears to be about 6 mm too short. Holden is refusing to do anything about this problem, stating that my vehicle meets their specifications. A week before this, I lost the right front wheel off the vehicle driving along the highway traveling about 90 km/h towing a tandem trailer. Four of the wheel studs snapped, two bent and all wheel nuts were lost. Holden is saying the vehicle meets their specifications and that the Police are wrong, the Police are saying Holden is at fault. I am stuck with a vehicle that is "unroadworthy", having traveled only 20,000 km, is less than 1 year old and is as supplied by Holden.
Answered by CarsGuide21 Dec 2012
We have asked Holden to check your claim and get back to us with a result of their investigation.
Other Holden Colorado problems
- Why is the gear stick in my 2015 Holden Colorado wobbly?
- Why does the engine light keep coming on in my 2008 Holden Colorado?
- How do I disable the seat-belt sensor for the passenger seat in my 2012 Holden Colorado?
- Can I increase the brightness of the dash lights in my 2013 Holden Colorado?
- What is causing the brake pedal to sink slowly to the floor in my 2016 Holden Colorado?
- What is causing a front end knock in my 2020 Holden Colorado ZL1?
- How can I test if there's too much blow-by in the engine of my 2010 Holden Colorado?
- Holden Colorado 2011: Problems with the crankshaft
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Everything you need to know about car sharing...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Best small cars under $20,000
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Everything you need to know about car sharing in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Best small cars under $20,000
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia