I bought a car with rust
- Mitsubishi Triton
- Mitsubishi Triton 2008
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Triton Reviews
- Mitsubishi Commercial Range
- Mitsubishi Ute Range
Asked by Gary and Cheryl Carling.
The 2008 Mitsubishi Triton 2wd trayback we recently purchased from a private seller had rust on the chassis, but no rust anywhere else. We filled in a change of ownership slip and sent it to Mitsubishi noting that the warranty could be transferred to the new owner. We took car to our local dealer, who after inspection advised they would not be honoring their warranty because we had purchased the car knowing it had rust. ?They advised if we were not happy to contact Mitsubishi, which we did. They advised they would back their dealer because they had no knowledge of the history of the car.? The seller told us he wouldn't be silly enough to take a 2wd on the beach, and we think there would be evidence of rust in other places if he had. ?Have you heard of other cases like this. The warranty on Mitsubishi is a big incentive for buyers and we wonder whether it is worth the paper it is written on.
Answered by CarsGuide8 Mar 2011
You should have walked away having seen the rust instead of going ahead and buying the car, but having bought it you’re in a bit of a pickle. You need to assemble all of the information about the car’s history that you can, and then consult an independent expert to get an opinion on the cause of the rust. It’s a little unfair on Mitsubishi to present them with a claim without any supporting documentation to back it.
Other Mitsubishi Triton problems
- What 4WD should I buy for towing?
- What is the towing capacity of the Mitsubishi Triton?
- Why does the speedo in my 2004 Mitsubishi Triton bounce up and down and make a weird noise?
- What can I do about the red paint on my 2016 Mitsubishi Triton fading?
- Are there known problems with 2015 Mitsubishi Triton's intercooler pipes/hoses?
- What is causing my Mitsubishi Triton GLX auto to shudder?
- Mitsubishi Triton 2000: Problems putting it in reverse
- Mitsubishi Triton 2016 or Isuzu D-Max 2015: Which one should I buy?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
- Cars that start with E
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best small cars under $20,000
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Top 7 Australian-made camper trailers
Cars that start with E
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures