Ask Smithy Xtra Mitsubishi Pajero died
- Mitsubishi Pajero
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002
- Mitsubishi Advice
- Mitsubishi Pajero Reviews
- Mitsubishi SUV Range
- 7 seater
Asked by Russ Tiplady
The auto transmission in my 2002 NM Mitsubishi Pajero disintegrated with no warning just before Christmas. It has only done 107,000 km and only 5000 km of that was towing. I have heard that it is not uncommon for this to happen on this model and has nothing to with my driving, which I consider to be gentle to get reasonable consumption. It is now back on the road after costing $6200 to have it fixed and the trade-in value is approx $10,000. I am now trying to look to the future. Now that the transmission has been done, do I have a "new car" in that it still young for a Pajero, or do I trade it in for a new Pajero manual or auto diesel, or should I trade it in for a one to two-year-old used Pajero?
Answered by CarsGuide8 Feb 2011
They’re generally a solid transmission and don’t give too much trouble. As for your car it is still relatively young and really should have 100,000 km or more in it without any major troubles, so it’s well worth considering keeping it, particularly if it has been trouble free apart from the transmission glitch. Buying a new Pajero is by far the most expensive option, and I would only suggest you do that if you have lost confidence in your current car. Before buying new I would certainly suggest you look at the used option, as a one to two-year-old car is almost as good as new and you would save a lot of money on the purchase, and of course the person who bought it new would have copped the massive initial depreciation.
Other Mitsubishi Pajero problems
- What's a good 4WD for the outback?
- What is causing my 2014 Mitsubishi Pajero to blow black smoke, jolt through gears and only go 60km/h?
- Should we replace our Holden Commodore with a Subaru Outback?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2002: Is 324,000kms too many?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2010: What problems are there with this model?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2004: What can I claim from insurance?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2009: Why isn't the accelerator working?
- Mitsubishi Pajero 2003: Why is the four-wheel drive symbol flashing?
Most viewed in Advice
- Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
- Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking...
- Everything you need to know to pass your...
- 14 best cars for towing a trailer
- Capped price servicing explained
- Cars that start with I
- Top 11 celebrity car collections
- VW Golf R: 0-100km/h
- What demerit points count if you get booked...
- How much does an electric car actually cost?
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Mitsubishi
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Do Australia's lemon laws protect you?
Cheap good looking cars: 10 best looking affordable vehicles
Everything you need to know to pass your driving test (update)
14 best cars for towing a trailer
Capped price servicing explained
Cars that start with I
Top 11 celebrity car collections
VW Golf R: 0-100km/h
What demerit points count if you get booked in another state?
How much does an electric car actually cost?