Ask Smithy Xtra Fix water in Ford Focus fuel
- Ford Focus
- Ford Focus 2003
- Ford Advice
- Ford Focus Reviews
- Ford Hatchback Range
- Ford Sedan Range
Asked by Gerard Pinto
Soon after I bought my 2003 Ford Focus 2.0 CL automatic it developed a problem that was diagnosed as water in the fuel. Both Caltex and Shell rejected my claims of contaminated fuel purchased from their outlets. Ford recommended changing parts like the fuel line, fuel rail, injectors, fuel filter and sparkplugs, which were valued at $2990, but I refused. My local mechanic completely drained the tank and replaced the fuel filter, but disconnected the fuel line that connects the fuel tank to the engine via a charcoal filter fitted to the firewall. The car is now running well, so what could be the problem? I am hesitant to reconnect the charcoal filter as it may be converting the moisture in the atmosphere into water and feeding it to the fuel tank. Can you suggest a solution please?
Answered by CarsGuide30 Nov 2010
You say the car is now running well, so it would seem that by draining the fuel tank and replacing the filter the mechanic fixed the problem. You can connect the charcoal canister, it’s there to collect the fuel vapour from the tank so it’s no released into the atmosphere; the accumulated vapour is then burnt in the engine, so it’s safe to reconnect it.
Other Ford Focus problems
- Will a Ford Focus radiator work on a 2002 Ford Cougar?
- The front passenger tyre on my 2006 Ford Focus fell off. Are the axles on the 2002 and 2006 Ford Focus interchangeable?
- I need a new front driver's door for my 2014 Ford Focus, will a 2012 or 2016 Ford Focus door work?
- Will headlights from a 2005 Ford Focus interchange with a 2000 Ford Focus?
- Should I sell my 2004 Ford Focus to the wreckers?
- What is the best dog-friendly car?
- Will a 2004 Ford Focus 2.0 manual clutch plate work in a 2009 Ford Focus?
- Which generation Focus can I use to replace a window on a 2016 Ford Focus?
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with hybrid...
- Top five electric SUVs in Australia
- Every electric car available in Australia
- The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
- How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in...
- P plate legal cars in Australia
- The top five biggest problems with electric...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Ford
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
The top 10 fully electric cars in Australia
The top five biggest problems with hybrid cars
Top five electric SUVs in Australia
Every electric car available in Australia
The ten cheapest hybrid cars in Australia
How much does it cost to charge a Tesla in Australia?
P plate legal cars in Australia
The top five biggest problems with electric cars