Are there any issues with a Holden Cruze 1.6 petrol turbo from 2015 onwards?
- Holden Cruze
- Holden Cruze 2015
- Holden Advice
- Holden Cruze Reviews
- Holden Hatchback Range
- Holden Sedan Range
- Holden Wagon Range
- Buying tips
Asked by Peter
Just wondering if there are any issues with a 2015 and on Holden Cruze 1.6 petrol turbo? My partner bought a 2015 Z series non-turbo petrol Cruze new and traded it with 97,000kms. She had no issues with it at all it was a great little car. Would I have the same luck with a used petrol turbo model?
Answered by CarsGuide20 Nov 2020
The turbocharged petrol-engined Cruze was the pick of the bunch; smoother and sweeter than the turbo-diesel and packing a lot more punch than the non-turbo petrol version. But they’re not without their potential traps.
The good news is that the car you’re considering is a 2015 model, so it got the bigger 1.6-litre turbocharged engine and a build date that should have put it beyond the earlier transmission failures of some Cruzes. The earlier, 1.4-litre engine was known for coolant leaks from the water pump, although the later 1.6-litre also seems susceptible to overheating. Some Cruzes with this engine required new thermostat housings to be fitted to correct this, so make sure this has been done by a previous owner.
The 1.6 turbo also showed problems with the cooling system for the turbocharger unit (as distinct from the above cooling problems). It seems as though the coolant hoses for the turbocharger were underdone when it came to Australian underbonnet heat levels, and a leak could ensue.
To be completely honest, these cars were a Daewoo design (even though they were built by Holden in Adelaide after 2011) and they seemed a bit short on engineering in some areas. They’re also a car that will become more problematic – relative to some of the competition - as they age. It wouldn’t be my pick for a long-term purchase.
Other Holden Cruze problems
- Holden Cruze Bluetooth: How to Use Bluetooth in a Holden Cruze?
- Why did I loose acceleration in my 2012 Holden Cruze even though I still had revs?
- Why won't my 2009 Holden Cruze auto change gears?
- What are the known problems for a 2012 Holden Cruze?
- Is a 2012 Holden Cruze likely to have a faulty gearbox?
- Holden Cruze 2010: Failed transmission
- Holden Cruze 2011: Radio in a constant boot-loop
- Holden Cruze 2011: Fast flashing red light
Most viewed in Advice
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- Best small cars under $20,000
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Holden
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
Best small cars under $20,000
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
How to find the owner of a car in Australia?
Who invented the first car and when was it made?