Hyundai Santa Fe 2011: Is the diesel good for towing?
- Hyundai Santa Fe
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2011
- Hyundai Advice
- Hyundai Santa Fe Reviews
- Hyundai SUV Range
- 7 seater
Asked by Chris Laming
Our 2011 Hyundai Santa Fe is a diesel with electric brakes and the recommended towing capacity is 2000 kg. Our horse float is 1050 kg, and with a horse and gear the total is probably about 1700-1750 kg, so well within the towing capacity of the car. A lot of the pony clubs around northeast Melbourne are in very hilly areas or require driving through them. The car doesn't struggle up the hills, but should I be concerned about driving up really steep hills with the towing load close to capacity?
Answered by CarsGuide15 May 2015
You are well within the rated towing capacity with trailer brakes, so the vehicle should be able to handle the hills as long as you approach them sensibly by being in the appropriate gear before you start climbing and don't try and rush it. If you are unsure of the weight of the fully loaded trailer have it weighed at a weighbridge.
Other Hyundai Santa Fe problems
- Which used seven-seater should I buy for 15-20k?
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2013 to 2017 or Hyundai Santa Fe 2013 to 2017
- Should I buy a Kia Sorento 2020?
- What SUV should I buy?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2019: Should I buy the diesel version?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2009: Timing belt replacement
- What SUV should I buy?
- Hyundai Santa Fe 2010: Does this model have a timing belt or chain?
Most viewed in Advice
- Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
- 10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
- 10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
- 10 of the most reliable used cars in...
- Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
- Who invented the first car and when was it...
- 12 best EVs available in Australia
- Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM,...
- What's the difference between diesel and...
- Best small cars under $20,000
Search from Over 8,000 questions Over 8,000 questions answered by CarsGuide
Complete Guide to Hyundai
Reviews, price, specs and more
Most viewed in advice
Can my car use E10 ethanol fuel?
10 best hybrid vehicles in Australia
10 cheapest new cars for sale in Australia
10 of the most reliable used cars in Australia
Best 10 Vehicles for Towing
Who invented the first car and when was it made?
12 best EVs available in Australia
Vehicle weights explained | tare, kerb, GVM, payload and trailer figures
What's the difference between diesel and petrol cars?
Best small cars under $20,000