Development of the Daytona Cobra ceased after success as both Ford and Shelby moved onto the GT40 project to meet the new world championship regulations. Photo Gallery
Check out the 1965 Daytona Cobra's potted history.
Details and Specifications
Built: United States
Chassis sourced from AC Cars in England
Body 5 of the 6 bodies built in Italy
Numbers built: 6
Chassis number: CSX2286 / CSX2287 / CSX2299 / CSX2300 / CSX2601 / CSX2602
Years of Manufacture: 1964 - 1965
Designer: Peter Brock
Chassis/body: aluminum body on tubular frame
Ford 289 90º V 8 cast-iron block and head
Front engine longitudinally mounted
Capacity: 4.727 litre
Bore / Stroke: 101.8 mm / 72.9 mm
Valve train: 2 valves / cylinder, OHV
Fuel system: 4 Weber 48 IDM Carburettors
Redline: 8000 RPM
Transmission: Borg Warner T-10M 4-Speed Manual
Gear ratios: 2.32:1, 1.69:1, 1.29:1, 1.00:1, :1
Final drive: 3.09:1
Suspension and Brakes
Tyres: Goodyear Stock Car Special 7.75x15
Front brakes: 279 mm
Rear brakes: Drums 260 mm
Wheels: 38.1 x 17.8 cm / 15.0 x 7.0 in
Steering: Rack & Pinion
Suspension: Lower A-Arms w/Transverse Leaf Srings, Koni Tube Type Adjustable
Dimensions and Weight
Weight: 1043 kg<
Wheelbase: 2286 mm
Front track: 1354 mm
Rear track: 1341 mm
Length: 4610 mm
Width: 1753 mm
Height: 1422 mm
Power: 291 KW @ 6750 rpm
Torque: 462 Nm
Top Speed: 307 km/h
0-100kph: 4.4 s 0-160 kph = 8.8 sec
* 1964 Sebring 12 Hours - 1st - GT Class - CSX2287
* 1964 24 Hours of Le Mans - 1st - GT Class - CSX2299
* 1964 Goodwood TT - 1st - GT Class - CSX2299)
* 1965 World Manufacturers Champion for GT
* 1965 Daytona 2000 km - 1st - GT Class - CSX2299
* 1965 Sebring 12 Hours - 1st - GT Class - CSX2299
* 1965 Nürburgring 1000 km - 1st - GT Class- CSX2601
* 1965 Reims 12 Hours - 1st - GT Class - CSX2601
Individual Cars – a short history
* The first of two chassis ordered from AC to be used as prototypes for the Coupe project.
* Lowest chassis number it was actually the last completed.
* Changes to chassis length for the fitting of a proposed big block engine meant delays to this cars developement.
* When it became obvious that the big-block front-engined Cobra Coupe would not work well with the extra weight up front the converted back to standard chassis lengths and completed for the 1965 season.
* Driven by Dan Gurney and Jerry Grant,in the 1965 LeMans but failed to finsih due to a blown engine.
* In 1965 it used in the 'Cobra Caravan' which traveled across the country to publicize Ford's racing successes.
* After the cars return to America it changed hands several times and is now part of a significant private collection.
* This car is the only one to have an American buitl body, all others having been outsouced to Carrozzeria Gransport in Modena, Italy. .
* Raced extensively first in class at Sebring in 1964 was its best result.
* Ownership transferred to legendary land speed record holder Craig Breedlove who drove it at the Bonneville Salt Flats establishing several class records.
* Disappeared until 2001 lying dormant for nearly 30 years. After a long legal battle about ownership the car finally ended up in another significant private collection.
Considered the most important of the six Cobra Daytonas, with an outstanding race record including;
* 1st 1964 24 Hours of Le Mans.
* GT class win at Goodwood.
* 1965 Daytona 2000 km
* 1964 Sebring 12 Hours
* This car raced in the 1964 Tour de France but retired with mechanical problems.
* It was raced extensively in 1965 and saw three third place finishes.
* Sold at the end of the 1965 race season to a Japanese gentleman racer
* Carroll Shelby bought the car back in the 1970's and was resold at RM's Monterey Auction in 2000 for $4 million which at the time was 100% more than the estimate.
* The car now resides with a German collector and historic racer.
* The subject of the current sale.
* Raced 9 times in 1965
* Won its class Nürburgring and at Reims in 1965 .
* Reims secured the World Championship for Shelby with Bob Bondurant at the wheel.
* Bob Bondurant held ownership for several years
* Used in the film 'Redline 7000.'
* Finished second in class in the 1965 Daytona 2000 km.
* 2nd In the 1965 Nürburgring,.
* Entered in the 1965 Le Mans by Scuderia Filipinetti. Retired with mechancial problems.
* Currently in a Japanese collection.